I have been "Grandma" for a little over eight years now. I haven't really enjoyed the title until this weekend. Four of my five grandkids, which I adore greatly, have always lived far away. We lived in PA and they lived in Provo and when we got ready to move to WY, they moved to NM. It is hard to be grandma when you only see them once or twice a year and for just a short time. Thirteen hours is a long way.
Nate and I just returned from our second straight weekend in ID visiting Benjamin James. It is 4.5 hours from our house to Cheryl's in Sugar City and that includes stops to fill Nate up and road construction. It was so much fun watching him do all the things that I remember my own kids do so long ago. It was fun giving him his first bath and holding him whenever I had the chance. (Which was most of the time.)
It was fun watching Jason and Cheryl hurry and do the laundry when he "sprinkled" the bed for them.
After this weekend, being a grandma means more than just feeling older and grayer. I need to find a way to get to Albuquerque more often to spend "more, better" time with my other precious grandkids. (And by the way, more grandkids are better.)
Here are some more pictures from this latest weekend.
3 comments:
This past Sunday was grandparents day, and while it is surely a holiday invented merely to sell greeting cards, thinking about it makes me contemplate that special relationship that bridges generations. I was fortunate to know my grandparents well when I was young, and I'd like to find ways to help my children have similar relationships with their grandparents. Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. We'll see you soon.
Yeah seriously Michelle, it's your turn.
But I have a puppy-she got her last round of shots today too, so she's a vaccinated puppy. And of course I went into work late so I could rub her belly a little longer to make her feel better.
Post a Comment