Saturday, July 19, 2008

The fish were biting

Here we are, the great fisher"persons". Friday Dad arranged for Miguel to take us out on the bay for our fishing trip. Miguel brought his 11 year old son, Mark, along to help us. It was so much fun. We left Crofton at 6 am, and yes, Nate slept the whole way. When we got to the Bay Bridge, a glorious sun rise greeted us. You remember the ones where because of the humidity the sun glows a beautiful pink.
When we got out on the water and Miguel picked out our fishing spot, Nate was the first one with his hooks in the water. No one else even had time to bait our hooks before Nate had caught two fish. (All with one pole.) Now, I must give a lot of credit to Nate. He hates water; is scared to death of water, even. But for the second time this trip he agreed to get on a boat.
By the time we docked the boat at about 2:30, we had caught a cooler full of fish. Croakers. Now I know why they are called Croakers. They make a croaking sound, like a frog, when they are caught. Mark caught a lot more than we did. He is a great fisherman. But we all had fun and we will enjoy eating the fish. (I told Dad that when we move out here, he has to buy me a boat and of course, a pickup to haul the boat.)
After taking a quick shower in Crofton, we headed to a little Italian place for dinner. Bookmaker, Calamari, and pasta. Perfect Day

6 comments:

Jon and Chelle said...

Did you/are you going to eat the fish? What do croakers taste like?

ma turner said...

Yes, we are going to eat the fish. Dad caught croakers when he went fishing at Ocean City when you were little. They taste pretty good. I'll give you more details when we quit eating Sab's leftovers and actually eat the fish.

Roy said...

Wow! How fun! And good fishing, Nate. The picture of Dad is priceless too. Glad you guys are having fun. Dad'll have to teach my boys to fish someday--they want to learn, but I've got nothing to teach...

dastew said...

I'm just glad that we get to go to the unnamed Italian place at least once a year. It's nice to be on the east coast

ma turner said...

Last night when I realized that Nate needs a snack just before going to bed, I cooked him a couple of the filets of croaker. They are a real mild flavored fish. He liked it. Because the fish were on the small size, the filets are small, too. They taste great and cook up very fast.

Wife of dastew said...

My little brother caught a fish this (hold fingers a foot apart) big!